2 medium granny smith apples
1 (8-count) package refrigerated crescent roll dough
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup very finely chopped pecans (optional)
1. preheat oven to 350. grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
2. peel and core apples. cut each apple into fourths. unroll and separate dough, and wrap each apple section in a crescent roll. place in dish and sprinkle with cinnamon.
3. combine butter, sugar, and orange juice in a medium saucepan. bring to a boil. remove from heat and stir in vanilla. pour over dumplings. sprinkle pecans over top.
4. bake 30 minutes, or until dumplings are golden and beginning to bubble, and apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
5. to serve, spoon some of the syrup from the baking dish over the dumplings. (perhaps the most important step!)