Sunday, November 1, 2009

spaghetti sauce

This is my family's famous spaghetti sauce. My family, meaning my grandmother and my mom. I'm not sure if my grandmother created it or if she got it from somewhere else. Either way, it's amazing and it always brings me back to my childood. I remember growing up and I'd walk in the door from school to smell this sauce simmering away on the stove. Oh my gracious. It's not a sweet sauce, and it's a little more thin, not very chunky. The recipe doesn't call for it, but feel free to add onions, bell peppers, or diced tomatoes to the sauce. My mom just never put this stuff in there because apparently we were all pretty picky as kids. Sorry mom! :)

ingredients:

1 lb ground beef
2 cans Hunts tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
2 cans water (if you want it a little thicker, just do 1.5 cans)
1 tbsp italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 package spaghetti seasoning (italian style. i usually use McCormick.)
1 tbsp butter

directions:

1. brown beef and drain.
2. add all ingredients to a pot on the stove, or a crockpot.
3. if using stovetop, bring to a boil and let simmer as long as possible (at least an hour, if not more). if using crockpot, cook on low for 3-4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment